Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Happiness

In the wake of some of the most recent tragedies: the Boston Marathon Bombing yesterday, Newtown CT, etc., it makes you think about the things you love, the people you can't imagine life without and the things we all take for granted.  I sometimes can't believe this is the world we live in. I think about how hard life can be, just in the simplest and most natural of ways - a heartbreak, cancer, an earthquake.  These are things we cannot control and so we learn to live through them.  But in spite of these leveling natural tragedies, we still continue to make it harder on each other.  Add more sadness and sorrow to the pot.   I don't think I will ever understand how any one person could believe that their thoughts, beliefs or values have the right to influence or alter the path of any other human being.

It amazes me constantly how precious life is and how much of it we are willing to waste on the silliest things.  Happiness is not the given you were taught it was as a child. Happiness is a feat to accomplish - it takes presence and mental discipline and strength.

I wish for myself and for all those that I love the ability and serenity to let go of everything else and have the presence to be happy with every moment we are given.  It's next to impossible to do, but we sure can try. 





2 comments: