Monday, September 24, 2018

The Plymouth Project v2.0

Three years later, our build or buy decision is coming to fruition.   Throughout these three years we have:
  • Gone through 3-5 full sets of plans with the architect and hundreds of revisions on these plans
  • Put in two offers on other homes, one in Mill Valley and the other in Sleepy Hollow, San Anselmo!
  • Fought with FEMA about whether we can even build at our home
  • Fought with the city of Mill Valley about their interpretation of FEMA and it's impact to us.
  • Seen 100s of homes in the flats, the hills and the outskirts of Mill Valley with our ever patient agent. 
  • Secured a contractor, lost said contractor, bid other contractors, cancelled the project based on the bids and found another contractor by way of a helpful neighbor (and a doorstep sales pitch)
  • Crunched the numbers, recrunched and crunched again.
And here we are...moved out of our home, and into a rental for a year while we build our home.  We needed the three years to come to this decision.   To fall so in love with our street/neighbors that the thought of leaving right now was no longer an option.  To reorient ourselves to the fact that just because we build, doesn't mean that this has to be our forever home.   But to build it like it might be and actually do it right this time. 
We are nervous and excited at what this next year will bring. 

No comments:

Post a Comment